July 21, 2004
CLARENCE “GATEMOUTH” BROWN AND RIZWAN-MUAZZAM QAWWALI PERFORM AT THE ZOO
- Blues legend Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown and Pakistani spiritual music group Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali will rock the reptiles as they take to the zoo’s concert lawn for two separate nights of memorable music. These two bands will be performing as part of the zoo’s Wells Fargo Summer Concert Series.
- On Thursday, July 29 at 7 p.m., Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali will please the polar bears as they play their unique Sufi devotional music on the concert stage. Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali will perform
- traditional Qawwali music, a style that originated centuries ago in Pakistan and India. This group of young Pakistani musicians uses their music as a vehicle of enlightenment, creating an art form rich
- in poetic imagery and cultural history. Qawwali music is truly music of the world, including Farsi, Punjabi, Braj Bhasha, Urdu and Arabic languages to create enchanting melodies. Powerful vocals,
- handclaps, harmoniums and a tabla create a mesmerizing musical presence that will have the sea otters swimming in delight.